This month SmartProcurement profiles Alta Spence from Waco Africa.
Full name? Alta Spence.
Position? Chief Procurement Officer.
Your organisations’ procurement spend? R2-Billion a year.
Who does P & SM report to? Financial Director.
Private sector OR Public sector? Private Sector.
Core business activity of the enterprise? Forming, Shoring, Scaffolding, Modular and re-locatable buildings and portable sanitation.
Number of people in your P & SM organisation? 35.
Management motto? Success is getting things done efficiently – getting the results you want and being at peace with yourself and others at the same time.
Membership of professional bodies?
- The Institute of Purchasing In South Africa (IPSA).
- Full member of The Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS).
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport: South Africa (CILTSA).
- Certified Purchasing Manager with the International Federation of Purchasing and Materials Management.
- Certified European Senior Logistician of the European Logistics Association (ELA) and currently completing studies towards a Certified European Masters Logistician.
- International Federation of Purchasing and Supply Management.
- National Association of Purchasing Managers (Phoenix Arizona).
- The Association for Operations Management of South Africa (SAPICS).
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP United States).
What is your vision for P & SM? The most powerful marketing strategy that will force organizations to acknowledge and appreciate the importance of this young and dynamic profession.
Personal best achievement? To have started two “green field” projects, building from scratch a world class strategic sourcing system that is both collaborative and integrative across all business boundaries.
Most important commodities? Consulting services, MRO, Engineering, Labour, Mining and Construction.
The person that has had the biggest influence on your life? My mother: one of the smallest and most tenacious women I have ever had the pleasure to know, she never stopped believing in me.
The person that has had the biggest influence on your career? My husband – with such a strong motivator and support system, who can possibly go wrong?
Person you would most like to meet? Richard Branson.
Businessperson who has impressed you most? Brian Joffe.
Your favorite South African organisation? Barloworld.
Your favorite global organisation? Accenture.
Your philosophy about life? The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise; it is not that we seize them, but that they seize us.
Favourite reading? Assegai – Wilbur Smith.
Favourite music? Classical.
Favourite sport? Rugby.
Favourite website? Aberdeen Research.
Hobbies? Gardening, reading.
Car? Mazda CX7.
Married? To Wayne Spence for 21 years.
Children? One very super little boy called Matthew, now 6 years old.